Thursday, September 22, 2011

Diaspora vs Facebook vs Google+, My story and my final decision.

I remember well, the first time I created my account on facebook. I wanted to check a certain game, that everyone was playing. It interested me as a computer science, how it was possible a simple game, a flash game, could attract the attention of everyone. My desire was to create an app for facebook that could reach millions. After my first desilutions, as normal I moved foward to another project and decided to keep my account, because I was going to a foreign country and I was told that facebook was the best way to know where and when were the parties.
This was what facebook gave me. A social life... Thanks to facebook I knew everytime about all the parties, trips, dinners, everything! It was a easy way to share pictures of all the events, people did all the work for me.

Now the dream is over, I don't use facebook for the same and honests reason as before. Now I only use it because everyone else uses it and I'm afraid...

I'm afraid of all the information I gave to facebook, all my photos and all the accounts that I have in others sites, that I created using facebook login, such as, grooveshark.

Decided to look for another home, I created an account on google+, I prefered the circles thingy and how it's well connected to picasa. Still in beta, google+ is an excelent candidate for next big social network. Give Google a bit more time to work his magic and it's going to be marvelous I don't doubt it.

I'll say it here and now. Google+ is now better than facebook and is going to become even better in the future... BUT....
It still belongs to Google. The colossal company that I have a love hate relationaship.

Luckily, Diaspora is coming! I haven't read much this last 16months about it, I only listened some rumours...
Open-source and you are the king of everything you publish, now that is what I need and want from a social network.
I don't want to be afraid my information is going to be sold (facebook) or that I reached my limit in photos and I need to pay to get more space (google+).

Please, Diaspora, you're my only hope...
I'll be at facebook and google+ until October, so come and save me!

Remember These Guys? Diaspora* Eyes Potential October Launch - LAUNCH -:

No comments:

Post a Comment